Thoughts, Rants, Raves, and Drama.

Monday, September 20, 2004

For those of you that have seen the film Collateral, do you remember thebeginning of the film where Jamie Foxx picks up Jada Pinkett? He told her that he goes on vacation about twelve times a day. He had a picture of abeautiful tropic island in the sun visor on the driver's side. Anytime he felt bad or needed to escape for a couple of minutes, he would look at the picture and dream. I do the same thing as well. I usually go with shots of Los Angeles or New York or Reno. Maybe, if I can get it, a little Van Gogh.

So I segue into my visit to the High Museum. The Pook and I caught the last day of an African gold-Egyptian art exhibit. Very interesting. You see, the Egyptians believe that you can take it with you after you die. So they had food, tools and even heads put with them in their graves. I saw rings from kings and cloth and lots of cool figurines. It was the first time I been to the High in three years. They're adding more on to it, too. Where does Van Gogh come in, you ask? His paintings will be there next month.

I am getting weary about living in the suburbs. I'm Atlanta born and bredand always believe that people fled to the suburbs because they're pussies. In my particular case, I chose weary I'm living because it's a 10 minute drive to work without have to deal with I-285. I have to get back into Atlanta proper if for no other reason that for the public transportation. I need to have easy access to the parks and all the other things that make Atlanta great. That is, before they get taken away.


For example, let's talk about Rich's. Macy's bought Rich's awhile back. Now, it's been announced that Macy's will now drop the Rich's name. As a native Atlantan, I think that sucks. New Yorkers would be pissed if the Macy's name was dropped. Rich's has always been a dependable department store over the years. If nothing else, my best memories of Rich's are goingto the top of the downtown building during Xmas time and looking at theGreat Tree. You paid 50 cents and drive the Pink Pig all across therooftop. Then, if your mom would let you, you would visiting the petting zoo and play with the chicken and goats. You have to be an Atlanta native to know about that. I think that the beginning of the end was when Rich's sold the downtown building to the feds for office spaces. Then years later,Macy's bought Rich's and the nails begin to go into the coffin. Rich's location that have been around for decades close. Now this. Oh well, what can you do except hold on to the memories?